There are many questions you should ask yourself when trying to figure out what is a developmental disability. A developmental disabilities can be categorized into several categories, so it is very important to get all the facts straight before making a final decision on what to do about your child or children’s situation.
The main point of getting all the facts upfront is so that you can make an informed decision on the best course of action. Here are the main categories of disabilities:
– Cerebral Palsy: This is a disorder in which the brain does not work as it should. It is a progressive neurological problem that affects the movements of the limbs and mouth, causing them to become immobile, to have problems chewing or swallowing and so on.
– Motor Neuron Deficiency: This is the type of neurological problem where there is not enough cells in the motor nerve. It can also affect muscle movement. The main symptoms of this are limited hand or arm movements and problems with using the hand to grasp or use objects.
– Down Syndrome: If a child is born with this condition, they are said to be a developmentally disabled child. Their brain has a lot more neurons than other people, which means that it can process information better and learn faster. It also has more of an understanding of the world around it.
– Deafness: This is a neurological condition that results in a person not being able to hear sounds that are around them. Some of the signs of deafness are a loss of smell and sound, difficulty speaking, and problems with hearing. Some types of deafness will be treated with a device that produces a sound or vibration, whereas others will not require a device.
– Autism Spectrum Disorder: This is a neurological condition where a person is unable to socialize, communicate or interact with others, even the most basic of tasks. It is not caused by a mental or psychological condition, but is more than likely caused by an imbalance in brain chemical levels or wiring of the brain.
– Aspergers Syndrome: This is an autistic neurological condition, where it is believed that there is a genetic cause for the autism. It is believed that there is too much activity in the part of the brain that deals with the communication skills of an individual. It affects communication, motor skills, language, eye contact, facial expression and speech.
These are the three main types of disorders that are commonly grouped under the category of what is an example of developmental disabilities. They are not all the same, and some children may only have one of these conditions. So before deciding what to do about your child’s situation, it is essential to get all the facts straight before making any final decisions. Click here to know more.
Read our other Career Articles.